Wednesday 21 November 2012

What I Wore Wednesday: USA Catch-up

I've been a bad, bad blogger. I managed to go a do What I Wore Wednesday for a full year (how did I miss that anniversary?) and only miss one week and then I went and missed two in a row. Sometimes life gets in the way of blogging and that was certainly the case since I had plenty of outfit photos.  Unfortunately my Grandma ended up in the hospital and while she is home and fine now it meant I missed WIWW and then last week my flight was delayed back from London and I was exhausted when I got home and just couldn't pull it all together. So apologies! 

We had a great time at home spending time with family and friends and eating far too much. It was a great trip home and I'm so glad we were able to spend as much time in Cincinnati as we did. Three weeks went so fast! So here is our trip in round-up photo style.


This was the first year Blondie Boy picked his own Halloween costume. We asked him fairly early on what he wanted to be and his answer never changed so he was a pirate! I'm totally that Mom who dresses up to take their kid trick or treating so I was a pirate too!


Mom and Toddler Pirate Costume

We had this stuffed Blue (from Rio) already in the house so I sewed it on to the vest Blondie Boy wore to my sister's wedding last year along with the tux shirt, some striped PJ pants, a bandanna and his requested moustache and his costume was good to go! The only thing we bought were his skull rainboots which I'm glad we did because it was a wet and cold night.

For my costume I borrowed a white button down from my dad, tied my skull scarf around my waist and raided my Dad's attic (which is full of costumes) for the hat and jacket.

We went trick or treating with my friend Allyson and her son Parker again this year but I somehow didn't manage to get any pictures of the two of them! Parker was such a big help holding Blondie Boy's hand going up and down steps and was just really sweet. BB was a major trooper and stayed out the whole two hours! Apparently the "thing" in my hometown now is golf carts and I thought it was rather telling all the older children being driven around on golf carts while my two year old hoofed it.

The very next day by best friend Sabrina and her son Landon flew out to visit us from Maryland. I'm so lucky to have someone willing to schlep to Cincinnati for me and the boys had so much fun together playing with cars, laughing about burps and we even had a trip to the Cincinnati Zoo. I love the Cincinnati Zoo and it's ruined all other zoos for me because it is SO amazingly awesome.


Cincinnati Zoo Statue
BB, Me, Sabrina & Landon
When Sabrina and Landon left NotBlondeHusband, my Dad, my step-sister's boyfriend Drew (who you might remember from the Light the Night post) and I went to watch the UC vs. Syracuse game. Both my Dad and I are UC alums but I think we were all really excited for the game; it was crazy how much the campus has changed in 9 years. The weather was frankly awful, but our seats were AMAZING. When it started sleeting we decided to give up but the Bearcats won so all was okay!
Cincinnati Bearcat Nippert Stadium
Nippert Stadium- Home of the Bearcats!


Cincinnati Bearcat Flags

Cincinnati Bearcat fans
NBH, Drew and I
We went immediately from the game to meet my sister and her husband and drive up to Dayton for my Grandma's 90th birthday party. Unfortunately I have no photos as the photographer on the day had her camera stolen. How crappy is that? I do have a shot of one of the cute cupcake toppers my sister made though.


1940's Swimsuit
Bess rocking a Bikini back in the day
Next up was voting! I'm a huge political nerd so I loved being home for the election. This was the first time I ever voted in person in a presidential election; I've always voted absentee since I was living in DC for university or in Scotland. Since Ohio is a swing state we got upwards of ten phone calls a day at my Dad's house and I had a LOT of fun telling certain callers that I would under no circumstances be voting for their candidate.

Blondie Boy got super excited about voting but that might of just been because he got stickers and candy.



Obama cookie

Toddler Vote

If you are wondering about the cookie every presidential election Busken Bakery in Cincinnati does a Cookie Poll and predicts who will win the election based on which candidate sells more cookies. It has never been wrong!

Since my Grandma ended up in the hospital we got to spend more time with my Mom (who lives in LA) then we thought we would which was nice although not the best circumstances. Luckily she got home quickly and got to spend some more time with Blondie Boy. She'll probably kill me for posting a photo of her without make up but I don't care I think it is super cute!


Blondie Boy and his GG Bess

Mother and Daughters
My Mom, Sister and I
It was great spending so much time with my family and my Dad and my Step-Mom decided to have Thanksgiving early so we could be there! So we had a big family Fauxgiving the Saturday before we left. Blondie Boy had a great time playing with some of his (3rd?) cousins and we all indulged in too much amazing Thanksgiving food. I wish I could take credit for these photos but my sister stole my camera and took way better photos with it after a few minutes than I have all year.


My cousin Betsy and her gorgeous girls

My Grandma Jane and I

My cuzfriend (cousin+friend) Laura and I

I've just realized I have no photos of my Dad and I or my Dad and Blondie Boy. I'm honestly not sure how this happened! Sorry Dad! I went straight from turkey to go see a midnight showing of Rocky Horror Picture Show with my friends Allyson, Dana and Candi. We went to see it at the theatre I first saw it at over fifteen years ago! I took advantage of the post Halloween sales and got a french maid costume to be Magenta.
Rocky Horror Picture Show Costumes
Dana the Transylvanian and Magenta Me

Rocky Horror Picture Show Costumes
Allyson and Riff Raff

You can't tell but I wore my flowered Doc Marten boots that I've had since I was 15 as part of my costume. When Dana saw them she was surprised they still existed because that is how much I wore them back in the day. I was going to spray my hair red but I had a big presentation in London in two day and I didn't want to risk accidentally staining my hair.

 We had a great night and it just reminded me so much of how you know a good friend when you don't have to see each other all the time but you can just pick up where you left off when you do see each other.


We had such a great trip home and three weeks flew by really quickly. I flew straight from Cincinnati to London for work and then Blondie Boy got sick and then I got sick and I'm off to London again tomorrow but I'm sure when things calm down I will get properly homesick. It was so nice being with my family and seeing Blondie Boy play with his Papa and Mimi and Aunts and just having a great time. Plus I really do love my friends and I hate that I'm so far away from them. I hope they know how freaking amazing they are and how much I miss them.  Don't get me started on Cincinnati food or I'll be here all day. I know we can Skype and Facetime and GChat but it's not the same as being face to face y'know?

Do you live near your family or do you live near where you grew up? 



39 comments:

Melaina25 said...

looks like you've been up to a lot of fun! ps I kind of want to check out your dad's attic of costumes sounds great

Melaina25 said...

It is insane. There are at least 5 racks of costumes, plus accessories, wigs, hats, you name it!

Melaina25 said...

Very packed visit, glad your grandmother is feeling better.


Loved seeing Bess in a bikini!

Melaina25 said...

Glad to hear your Grandmother is doing better! You and your boy make fabulous pirates.

Melaina25 said...

Ummm, Syracuse alum here, but we'll skip that part because I honestly don't pay much attention to the games. Your Dad has an attic full of costumes?? Is it strange that I really like that jacket, not in a killer pirate jacket costume way either.

Melaina25 said...

Glad to see you're back and had a fab time, Melaina!!! ~Sarah

Melaina25 said...

Looks like you had a fabulous trip! And sometimes life gets in the way of blogging {as it SHOULD!} Love the costumes!

Melaina25 said...

How do you pull off a pirate costume so amazingly?!

As always you just look fabulous. x

Melaina25 said...

Love this post. It's so lovely to see all the photos of your friends and family. Apart from your Grandma being ill and the photographers camera being stolen, it sounds like you have a wonderful time. I can see where you get your style from, I love that pic of your Grandma in her bikini!! Also, I am SO jealous of your Midnight screening of the RHS. It may not be well known, but I am a BIG RH fan. It's not as easy to find a cinema screening of the film here, but I've heard about in America and it sounds so cool. I know all the audience partici pation ;-) bits. I've seen it at the theatre loads. I mostly dress as Frank which doesn't always go down well with other fans as it's usually the men who dress as Frank. I have dressed as Magenta though, it was when I had looooong hair. I died it magenta pink and crimped it. You know, I actually own 9 different versions of the soundtrack... sad!!

Melaina25 said...

Oh I love this! It looks like you had an amazing visit :-)

Melaina25 said...

Looks like an amazing trip! Your dad's attic sounds like a kid's dream...haha.

Tara
Penniless Socialite

Melaina25 said...

I am in LOVE with the cupcake toppers!! What a beauty!!!!!!!!!! Couldn't have picked a better pic for those!

Melaina25 said...

Glad you're back! My fave are the cupcake toppers with your grandma! :)

Jen @ Librarian for Life Style, http://librarianforlifestyle.wordpress.com

Melaina25 said...

So glad your back!
Ashley

Melaina25 said...

You do look like you had so much fun...I miss being busy with family and friends. :( It's really hard being away from your family and old friends.



It's me kaye
http://itsmekikay.com

Melaina25 said...

Glad you had such a great visit! I'll be there at Christmas and can't wait!

Melaina25 said...

So many great pictures and great stories. Looks like an amazing time x

Melaina25 said...

Looks like you had an awesome trip home. I agree with you on the friend thing, its amazing how with real friends you can just pick up where you left off!

Melaina25 said...

brilliant photos!!!!!! I love the ones of your Gran, can't beat a 4 generation shot! Very impressed you have boots form when you were 15, the only thing I have are the memories!!!

Melaina25 said...

Hi! I love your blog, just followed. Your little boy is so cute he reminds me of mine, they both have that same blonde hair!


Cassidy from
Thingslikeskeletonkeys.blogspot.com

Melaina25 said...

Blondie Boy got to spend time with all 3 of his American Great-Grandparents ages 90, 91 & 93! Docs must be really high quality I wore them all the time!

Melaina25 said...

Makes me miss them more though if I'm honest :)

Melaina25 said...

Thanks Sus x

Melaina25 said...

Christmas in the US--jealous! I've not been home for Christmas in over 5 years.

Melaina25 said...

It was a lot of fun but 49 weeks of the year I am away from family and friends :(

Melaina25 said...

I totally fell off the blogging wagon!

Melaina25 said...

There were tons of them she made out of old photos. I have some of them I should upload them.

Melaina25 said...

There were a bunch of different photos--she was totally the Carrie Bradshaw of her day :)

Melaina25 said...

Except it is pretty much all adult costumes!

Melaina25 said...

It was great being home.

Melaina25 said...

I looooove RHPS. I was in a production when I was at Uni and I'm pretty obsessed. I don't think I could do Frank because my butt is too big lol.

Melaina25 said...

Aww thanks. I was born several hundred years too late ;)

Melaina25 said...

I always feel like it's been a good night if I've been out and not tweeted so I guess it works the same for blogging too!

Melaina25 said...

It was a fab trip home.

Melaina25 said...

Yup huge attic full of costumes; my step-mom is a teacher so I think that has something to do with why she collects costumes. The jacket is a woman's 24 or something crazy!

Melaina25 said...

Bess was a fashionista!

Melaina25 said...

Love the photos of you and your family. And the pirate outfits are great! My family live in NZ and I'm planning a trip over there in January with my 20 month old. A little apprehensive about a 31 hour flight by myself with a toddler... will be in need of some serious sleep when I reach the other side of the world!

Melaina25 said...

Fab photos, what a great holiday you've all had x

Melaina25 said...

That cookie poll idea is fabulous - so neat that it's never wrong!

I'm originally from Ohio (Lima) as well, and my mom still lives up there, but I'm down in Texas, and my sisters are in South Carolina, so the times when we can ALL get together are rare. Probably not as rare as living across an ocean, but still. :)