Wednesday 22 August 2012

What I Wore Wednesday: Light the Night

This week's What I Wore Wednesday is a bit different because first of all I'm not the one writing it and it is asking you a bit more than just linking up and commenting. My step-sister Virginia has written a post for me this week about something that means a lot to both of us. Gin's wearing a shirt that says "survivor" but that's her story to tell, not mine, so I'll pass you over to her....

Hi! My name’s Virginia (Gin) Holmes and I’m Blondie's stepsister, making me Aunt to BB and step-sister-in-law to NotBlondeHusband. 

I am trying to raise money for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society’s Light the Night Walk 2012! It is a great event where people come together for one night and walk in support of those who’ve been affected by Leukemia and Lymphoma spectrum diseases.  Walkers carry lighted balloons at night in order to celebrate the survivors and to honor those who have lost their battle. Blondie was nice enough to give me an opportunity to reach out to all of you, in the hope that we can raise some money for an organization that is so important to my family and me!

In March of 2011, 6 weeks before my 24th birthday, I was diagnosed with stage 4 Non-Hodgkin Burkitt Lymphoma.  Burkitt is a rare and aggressive form of lymphoma that required me to be hospitalized all throughout my treatments.  I would be in the hospital anywhere between seven to ten days and then would spend a week or so at home recuperating before going back in for another round of treatments. 


All in all I spent 3 months in and out of the hospital.  I was blessed with amazing doctors, as well as amazing friends and family, who helped me pull through. 


Now I am happy to say that I’m healthy and on June 1st, 2012 celebrated my 1st year of remission!

Last year, with a few close friends and family members, I participated in the walk for the first time.  This year, my boyfriend Andrew (who was and still is the most amazing support to me) and I are looking to do more than just participate and have hopes of raising $5,000.00—and we can use all the help we can get!


If you would like to help us out and donate go to visit our Team Page and click on “Donate to Team” (on the right) and then put in the amount you wish to donate! 

Drew, our wonderful dog Poncho (team mascot and therapy dog) and I thank you in advance for giving to our team and for supporting The Leukemia and Lymphoma Society!

P.S. If you are around Cincinnati, Ohio on October 11 and want to walk, come on down to Sawyer Point!



28 comments:

Melaina25 said...

wow what an inspirational lady. thank you for sharing your courageous journey. And yay for being in remission! Wishing you lots of luck! xx

Melaina25 said...

What a fun switch-up! Nice to "meet" Gin :)

Melaina25 said...

Congrats to one year!

Melaina25 said...

Hi Melaina..I am so sorry to hear about what you have been dealing with. I will definitely be donating and keep up the courage and strength..you are in my thoughts!
Sheree
xxx
www.itsnotthatdeep.com

Melaina25 said...

Such a powerful story--thanks for sharing Gin with us.

Melaina25 said...

What a powerful story. My family has unfortunately been affected by cancer more times than I'd like to count- including EXTREMELY recently to my 29 year old cousin. You never really think it can happen to your family. Wishing you all the best, and YAY on celebrating 1 year of remission! Wishing you all the best.

Melaina25 said...

I was involved with the Relay for Life in law school and it was a pretty powerful experience. I wish you all the best and will definitely be donating to this amazing cause.
Tara
Penniless Socialite

Melaina25 said...

Wow, what an inspiring story, so brave. I hope thet make their target! X

Melaina25 said...

Glad your sister won her fight!

Melaina25 said...

A friend's Mom just died of leukemia, here in Indonesia. This is a very worthy cause. Happy walking!

Melaina25 said...

Your sister is so positive. Her story is inspiring and I am glad she shared it with us.

Melaina25 said...

I'm so glad you're okay, Virginia! Thanks for sharing your story. And thanks to you, too, Melaina, for offering your blog to help.

Melaina25 said...

I've participated in the Walk here in Seattle in memory of my best friend's mother. So glad you've reached one year in remission!

Melaina25 said...

Gin, what an amazing woman you are! Congratulations on your one year anniversary. Here's to 100 more anniversaries in remission!!! ~Sarah

Melaina25 said...

Lovely to hear your positive, uplifting story. Thanks for sharing & wishing you luck for the future.

Melaina25 said...

So glad you are better now, Virginia! I hope you stay in remission! Thank you for sharing such an inspiring story of strength.

Melaina25 said...

What an inspiring story! so glad to hear that you are in remission!!
xoxo, Nikki at Bedazzles After Dark

Melaina25 said...

Thanks for sharing your story, Gin! It's nice randomly coming across a fellow Cincinnatian on a blog. I was born and raised there, but am now living in Los Angeles.

Melaina25 said...

Ooh now I'm dying to know where you went to high school--that's such a Cincinnati thing isn't it? One of my other step-sisters, Gin's sister Emily, lives in LA now too :)

Melaina25 said...

Thanks Anh!

Melaina25 said...

Thank you Sarah x

Melaina25 said...

Aww I wish I lived closer so I could participate. This is an amazing and inspiring story. Thank you for sharing it!! :)

Melaina25 said...

I admire your step sister. She is so strong and beautiful too!

Melaina25 said...

Glad to hear your sis is healthy again! ;)

Melaina25 said...

I'm so happy to hear that you are doing well and what an amazing family and group of friends you have!!

Melaina25 said...

What a lovely and positive story. Glad you are well again xx

Melaina25 said...

Haha! That is such a Cincy thing! I went to Mercy.

Melaina25 said...

I am an active supporter of the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society and have participated in Light the Night for the past 2 years. My Dad was diagnosed with Leukemia in October 2009, and underwent a stem cell transplant in 2010. He is also a survivor!!! congrats! I need to start fundraising too!