Wednesday 3 October 2012

What I Wore Wednesday: The Mad Blog Awards

This past Thursday I went down south for a half day in the office and to attend The MAD Blog Awards. I wore my polka dot dress, skull scarf and leopard heels to the office like I said I would--who ever thought I'd do pattern mixing--and met up with the lovely Lizzie and Jacqui again for an AMAZING dinner and lots of chatting. I'm really enjoying our meet-ups when I'm in town for work and I'm holding Lizzie to her promise of having us to hers for dinner next time!



The next day I had breakfast in bed (the hotel only charges a £5 upgrade so I always splurge) while doing some work and took the train from Marlow to London. Boots was having a 3 for 2 sale so while getting shampoo/conditioner I threw in a "bun thingy" so I could attempt a high messy bun in more chic and less hungover hipster style.



I think it worked pretty well and since it is blonde coloured it means it doesn't show through my fine hair. The girl across from me on the tube was giving me weird looks but that might have just been because I was taking pictures of myself and on the tube and not because she didn't like my hair. 

The evening of the awards we had the opportunity to have our hair and make up done and I jumped at the chance. I'm going to be honest and say the hair did not work for me; I wasn't the only one as poor Dorky Mum wound up looking like Justin Bieber before she took her hair in her own hands. Luckily the lovely Alice from More Than Toast let me borrow her curling wand and I was able to remedy my hair situation.

My make up however, I loved. I told the lovely Sue from Arbonne that I liked a strong eye and to "think of a Rock of Love reject and then take it down one notch." She didn't know what Rock of Love was but she made it work. I added a bit more eyeliner and mascara, I'm addicted what can I say, but I especially loved how she did my overall complexion.



Notice my hair is not anywhere near "loose, beachy waves" at this point but my face is fabulous! Also yes I did roll up in a hotel robe and leggings; I forgot a wide neck shirt and I wasn't about to risk messing up my face. At least no one confused me for a hooker; at my sister's wedding I also wore a robe and a guy in the elevator basically inferred I was a prostitute. I don't know what prostitutes roam hotel hallways in robes but that isn't how they act on Police Women of Cincinnati that is for sure. Anyway I digress....

I was on double duty both up for an award (thanks to you lovely readers!) and presenting an award for work. I wanted to look fabulous but not too over the top so after trying on more than my fair share of dresses and then a dozen or so pairs of shoes this is what I wore:



I loved the shape and colours of this dress from TK Maxx and the patent bow belt that emphasised my waist just sold me on it. You can't tell but the skirt is the slightest bit see-through. The best part--the dress was £29.99! I'm serious. Don't you just love TK Maxx?
I paired it with accessories from New Look:

I fell in love with these Black Fold Over Chain Trim Ankle boots and they were so comfortable. I can see myself getting a lot of wear out of these so I'm glad I got them!


My sister made me promise I wouldn't wear "those damn feather earrings" again so I got these Gold and Silver Spike Cluster Drop Earrings because I thought they brought a bit of edge to the sweet dress and helped tie in this amazing Silver Wrap Around Cuff (which is much cooler in person than the picture) and the boots. I like a bit of edge and I think my accessories helped bring that.



Probably my favourite thing had to be hanging out with my good friend Susan who's bump looked amazing in her green dress. She wasn't sure about her hair but I thought it looked vintage inspired and really suited her! The next day the two of us bummed around Covent Garden and went to China Town for Dim Sum and it was just a really lovely afternoon. We both live in Glasgow but with children and work we usually are only able to catch a movie now and then so it was great to have a fun day out. Also we met the Green M who coincidentally poses exactly the same as I do.



Maybe it is time to rethink my signature pose? I want to give a big thanks to Helen and Evelyn at TK Maxx for providing my outfit and really just for being lovely. It was great to see Evelyn again on the night (who looked amazing in a one shoulder blue TK Maxx dress) and even though I didn't win (the very deserving Baby Wears Prada won) I'm still ridiculously honoured to have been a finalist. I love fashion, but I'm not a fashionista and I have no delusions of this being a fashion blog. What I Wore Wednesday is coming up on it's 1st birthday and it still amazes me that you all link up every week. So most of all thank you to all of you who voted for me and sent me to the awards.

Also thank you to Lexi from Mammy Woo who when I said after dinner "I think we should mount a reindeer" didn't bat a pretty eyelash but hopped straight on. My kind of gal.


Now enough of my waffling on and we'll get down to business! I really do love all your comments and unless I'm travelling I comment on every post linked so please do take the time to check out other posts linked up and find some new inspiration!



68 comments:

Melaina25 said...

Love that dress you wore to it...........and your makeup IS outstanding!!!!!!!!!

Melaina25 said...

WOW! You looked fabulous!! Glad you had glamour help and fun beforehand but sorry the hair didn't work the way you wanted. I think it's cool that you have a signature pose!

Melaina25 said...

wow i am with jeanine! you looked AMAZING!!!!!!! the dress is perfect and those booties are fab. and i think your hair looked gorgeous... seriously! rocking it, girl!!

Melaina25 said...

Looks like you had a blast! Gorgeous dress!

Melaina25 said...

Can't believe its been a YEAR!!! WOW! You look gorgeous and I'm super jealous that you get to hang out with my main girl Jacqui...give her a big hug and kiss for me!!

Melaina25 said...

Looks like such a fun time! Congrats on being nominated!

Melaina25 said...

WOW! it looks like it was such a fab time!! and you look gorgeous! good old tkmaxx, that dress is perfect on you. Did you win?xox

Melaina25 said...

Wow. What gorgeous company you keep! ;) Love your MADS dress, and rather partial to your skull scarf too. PS: Rock of Love ROCKED!!!!! Did you see that annoying Aubrey woman ended up on LA Ink???? But I digress...

Melaina25 said...

Naaaaaaw! Time flies when you ditch all your Brit mates and fly back to the US of A, doesn't it?? ;) xxxxx

Melaina25 said...

Sounds like such a great do and you look bloody gorgeous!! x

Melaina25 said...

You look so pretty! Love the dress.

Melaina25 said...

Oh, you make me feel so much better about the hair. I didn't envy them, trying to style so many of us in a short time - and it was lovely of the MADS organisers to have them there - but it just wasn't working for me at all. Mine looked hideous and I'm so glad my appointment had been early enough that I could go and shower and re-do it. Bieber hair is not even a good look on Bieber.


I agree that the Arbonne makeup ladies were lovely though, and did a fab job - yours looked absolutely fab.


Thanks for the shout out!

Melaina25 said...

I love your 'behind the scenes' look at the evening. You definitely did better on the hair but as you say make up and outfit worked a treat. Delighted I managed to catch up with you for a chat on the night, you were such a warm and easy going person to talk to.

Melaina25 said...

You look fabulous, LOVE the earrings!

Melaina25 said...

Love these photos! You looked absolutely gorgeous and I think the little boots and accessories are just inspired - so you! Glad you all had such a lovely time last week :-)

Melaina25 said...

I love those booties. Sorry I couldn't meet up with you in Glasgow. We literally made it there for four hours to have drinks with the boyfriend's brothers. We're already planning to go back next year....without such a hectic schedule.
Tara
Penniless Socialite

Melaina25 said...

Well, that looked like fun and I LOVE that bracelet!!!

Melaina25 said...

Love that you're always trying new things, like pattern-mixing and the high bun look (so glamorous, esp. with those sunglasses!) :)


http://librarianforlifestyle.wordpress.com

Melaina25 said...

Awww you looked great and what a brilliant evening it was. Unbelievably my award is smashed into pieces as of this monring :( one word: Lucie x

Melaina25 said...

I am in love with your dress! It's adorable!

Melaina25 said...

Love the black and blue dress! Looks like so much fun!
Ashley

Melaina25 said...

Those chain booties are to die for! I've been looking for a great pair of booties - those are definitely right up my alley!

Melaina25 said...

Ok, I am really digging your mix of blue & black. That skirt is great! And kudos to you for getting your bun thingy to work; I can never seem to get the hang of my homemade sock bun dohicky.

Melaina25 said...

okay, the reindeer pose was a little weird - lol!!!! RED???

Melaina25 said...

The outfit you wore for the award was perfect! Love your accessories too!

Melaina25 said...

Whoa, Mama! You look gorgeous, Melaina! Isn't it fun to get a little star treatment? :) ~Sarah

Melaina25 said...

I love this dress so much! It's completely my style. I want it even more now I know it was only £29.99! x

Melaina25 said...

I love the blue dress! Very cute.

Melaina25 said...

Thank you!

Melaina25 said...

I hope you can find it!

Melaina25 said...

Thanks :) I love getting pampered :)

Melaina25 said...

Thanks Oksana!

Melaina25 said...

Come on you mean if you saw a GIANT red reindeer you wouldn't mount it to? To be fair there was a contest to take a photo with the hashtag #incredible to win a tablet so that was our entry :)

Melaina25 said...

I could not make it work with the homemade sock but this thingy totally worked!

Melaina25 said...

Thanks! I'm not sure if New Look ship to the USA or not?

Melaina25 said...

Thanks Ashley!

Melaina25 said...

Thanks Niki!

Melaina25 said...

Oh no! I made sure to put the Best Baby Blog Award up really high when I got home :(

Melaina25 said...

Thanks Paige! I love it too :)

Melaina25 said...

Don't worry I totally understand how it is :)

Melaina25 said...

Aww thanks Sara! Your opinion means a lot xoxo

Melaina25 said...

Thanks Jaymee!

Melaina25 said...

Aww thank you Fiona! Congrats again on your win! You looked amazing in your bandage dress!

Melaina25 said...

Yes some people had fab hair, but unfortunately just not us lol.

Melaina25 said...

Thanks Iva!

Melaina25 said...

Aww thank you xx

Melaina25 said...

You know I totally tweet Ashley, Farrah, Daisy and Heather right?

Melaina25 said...

The lovely Baby Wears Prada won x

Melaina25 said...

Thanks Megan x

Melaina25 said...

I know right? No smurf to eat Ben & Jerry's with me this year :)

Melaina25 said...

Thanks Tunde!

Melaina25 said...

Thanks Molly!

Melaina25 said...

Lol thanks Jeanine. It was too funny when we saw the M&M!

Melaina25 said...

Thanks Danavee! Sue did an amazing job!

Melaina25 said...

Shut. Up!!!! We didn't get the third series, but I totally know Daisy! (Well, know of her, that is). What about that total ditz Megan, who was also on Beauty and the Geek. How annoying was SHE??

Melaina25 said...

She's really sweet on Twitter! Didn't you hear about Megan? She had a VH1 show "Megan Wants a Millionaire" but they had to cancel it because one of the contestants murdered and chopped up his girlfriend (she was identified by the serial number on her boobs) and then killed himself. SERIOUSLY.

Melaina25 said...

I love that silver studded cuff! I think I might just need it in my life...


http://fieryfinish.blogspot.com

Melaina25 said...

Your dress is super cute. And I covet your skull scarf.

Melaina25 said...

I love the dress you wore and your hair looked awesome. Looks like you had a good itme.

Melaina25 said...

Great outfits,love your skull scarf :) thanks for the hop ...

Melaina25 said...

You looked amazing and I'm loving the hair bun. Was fab hanging out with you. Thank you xx

Melaina25 said...

love the skull scarf!

Melaina25 said...

LOVE the black and blue dress and I don't even like blue much!

Melaina25 said...

Let me just say, you are beautiful and loving your bun! I found you over at the Pleated Poppy's WWIW. I am now your newest follower; can't wait to see what you come up with next! Looks like I have a new link up to join!


xx
Serena
http://theserenasaga.blogspot.com

Melaina25 said...

Love Susan's dress. So classic.

Melaina25 said...

Hey hun, was really nice to meet you at MAD blogs! I was the one from Arbonne sat on the bed :) you looked fab! Loving your blog as well, keep it up xx

Melaina25 said...

You looked stunning! Both you & Susan did!! Was lovely to see you again!! :) x x

Melaina25 said...

Thank you! Lovely to meet you and lovely to have the makeover :)