Wednesday 17 October 2012

What I Wore Wednesday: GFBW Fashion Show

Last Thursday I attend the Glasgow for Business Week Fashion Show at Prince's Square and it was amazing. There is so much fashion talent in Scotland and it was really showcased on the catwalk. Some of the designers I knew but a lot of them were new to me. If you follow me on Instagram you'll know I did my best to tweet photos but damn is it hard to take a photo of a moving model! So here are my best shots:

William was "Accessory Designer of the Year" at the Scottish Fashion Awards and makes the most amazing hats and headpieces.



Rebecca makes gorgeous colour blocked body con dresses. You might recognize her dresses as one of the "Basketball Wives" wore it on their reunion show.



Stunning Vintage inspired Hand-finished Lingerie 




I knew them for their amazing custom acrylic knuckle dusters but now I'm coveting their edgy but feminine women's wear.
Iona's prints were earth and ethereal and oh so Scottish.



There were also gorgeous dresses by Marc Ross (I wish I'd gotten better photos of the ultimate LBD), amazing coats with just the tiniest hint of sparkle by Lyndsey McNeil, impressive knits by Di Gilpin and many more. One of my favourite was Euan McWhirter's couture jewellery collection. Euan was kind enough to send me these photos from his collection: 





I love his chunky and colourful pieces and how freaking amazing is that punk Victorian cuff? I'm a sucker for anything that sparkles and has studs---stunning! Euan also does bespoke fine jewellery that is drop dead gorgeous  I have two words for you- OCTOPUS RING. Click the link because honestly words don't do it justice.

I showed up to the show knowing no one and the lovely Mairi McDonald, who's a women's wear designer herself and a trendspotter for The Herald, was so nice and let me sit with her during the show. It was a bit unnerving showing up and knowing no one but everyone was so lovely. I had great time and wound up heading for drinks afterwards with Euan and William who were both so inviting and fun. Also some how we ended up drinking with a guy who was in Braveheart and Wanted so that is me one degree closer to Mel Gibson and Angelina Jolie apparently!

So what did I wear. I ended up wearing the first outfit that popped into my head when I heard I got offered tickets to attend. You see in life sometimes you have to go big or go home and I thought if I couldn't go over the top at a fashion show when could I? So after almost a year I finally wore my amazing Versace for HM fur vest:


Black Dress-HM
Black Fur Vest with Gold Buckles-Versace for HM
Black Studded Bag-Versace for HM
Gold Studded Black Leggings-New Look
Black Folded Chain Trimmed Ankle Boots-New Look




Black Platinum with Model's Own Ibiza Top Coats

It is not something I'd wear every day obviously but OMG did I love wearing it. I tend to lean towards the edgy side so the studs and fur all just gave me some crazy confidence. Also I'm not obsessed with Model's Own Glitter Top Coat especially over black. I took it off this weekend but am contemplating putting it back on already.


I went for a smoky eye (when do I not?) and rocked a red lip. I'm normally not a red lip kinda girl but is really growing on me. Of course it doesn't hurt that Mairi said I was channelling Gwen Stefani who's style I've coveted since her dip-dyed Galliano wedding gown. Anyway I digress; it was really hard to get a good photo of the outfit so I've put together the outfit on Polyvore too.





GFBW Fashion Show Outfit

I was so inspired by these amazing Scottish designers and hopefully I'll be able to attend many more Scottish fashion events. It was a great night and thanks so much to Glasgow for Business Week for having me attend! If you are in love with Scottish design as much as I am please do click through the links and support these designers--most of them ship to the USA as well as Europe!

64 comments:

Melaina25 said...

You went to a legit real fashion show. EEEKKKKKK! Completely exciting!D

Melaina25 said...

Wow, those were some stunning outfits! And your outfit was awesome, too!!

Melaina25 said...

That is a pretty crazy vest, but you rocked it!

Melaina25 said...

Well don't you look uber glam and sooo the fashionista! perfect for a catwalk event id say! xx

Melaina25 said...

OMFG! You look awesome! I would just LOVE to go to an event like this one! Sounds like such good fun! x

Melaina25 said...

That octopus ring is AMAZING. I love your "go big" attitude for the fashion show. the fur vest was perfect and you looked glamorous.
Tara


Penniless Socialite

Melaina25 said...

Great fashion show. Love your nails.

Melaina25 said...

you look SO glam! I'd love to go to a fashion show, they look amazing!

Melaina25 said...

That fashion show just looks like so much fun. And how cute is your outfit? I'm slowly but surely trying to ease my way into a red lip, today it's a dark sparkly pink. Some day...

Melaina25 said...

I think the outfit is perfect and I love the jewelry!
Ashley

Melaina25 said...

So cool to see some Scottish designer looks up close -- sounds like a lot of fun! :)

Melaina25 said...

How fun! I've never been to a fashion show, but I'd like to. :)

Melaina25 said...

super cute vest and I love your nail polish. Sounds like it was lots of fun!

Melaina25 said...

Woohoo - I love that vest!!!

Melaina25 said...

Wow, you are so lucky to attend this fashion show. It seems so entertaining! Thank you for the pictures. Love your outfit. The vest is gorgeous!

Melaina25 said...

this looks amazing! and YOU look amazing!!! love those nails, too!

Melaina25 said...

Cute, cute! Love the fur and love your nails, Hottie Mama!!! ~Sarah

Melaina25 said...

I think your outfit was right on the money!! I saw your pics on Instagram last week - so cool! xx

Melaina25 said...

It looks and sounds like an amazing fashion event. And you look rocking! Love that coat of yours. :

Melaina25 said...

What an awesome event! I love the fur look as well very rock and roll chic!
Heathersthriftycloset.blogspot.com

Melaina25 said...

Love the black studded bag~

Melaina25 said...

the fashion show looks fun! love the polish :)

Melaina25 said...

It was amazing! So many amazing designers.

Melaina25 said...

Thanks Alex xx

Melaina25 said...

Thanks Sarah! I'm obsessed with that glitter :)

Melaina25 said...

It was such an amazing show!

Melaina25 said...

Thanks it was a great night!

Melaina25 said...

It was amazing!

Melaina25 said...

They were all so talented!

Melaina25 said...

Thanks Ashley! Isn't Euan crazy talented?

Melaina25 said...

My red always airs on the pink side :)

Melaina25 said...

Thanks Steph!

Melaina25 said...

Thanks Tara! Isn't is just stunning? Euan is SO talented!

Melaina25 said...

Thank you! It was such fun!

Melaina25 said...

Aww thank you Rach!

Melaina25 said...

It was one of two things I picked out before I shopped the Versace sale last year and I'm so glad I finally wore it!

Melaina25 said...

Thanks Jeanine!

Melaina25 said...

It was such an amazing night! There is so much talent in Glasgow :)

Melaina25 said...

Thanks for the comment- I'm your newest follower;)

Melaina25 said...

How amazing to attend such a fabulous fashion event! You are rocking the fur vest, and I love those ankle booties!

Melaina25 said...

Your nails look great! I think I need to get some glitter top coat in my life :)

Melaina25 said...

Sounds like you had a great time! And you looked amazing while doing so! ;)

Melaina25 said...

Your outfit rocks, it looks super cute on you. and you got to see some awesome stuff.

Melaina25 said...

Love the nails! The vest is also lush! Looks scrummy and warm aswell - bonus! xx

Melaina25 said...

It was warm which I regretted at the cocktails before the show but was very happy for in the walk to grab a cab later :)

Melaina25 said...

Thanks Ania! It was fun to step out of my comfort zone :)

Melaina25 said...

Thanks CC!

Melaina25 said...

Model's Own Ibizia is the one I used and it's changed my life lol.

Melaina25 said...

Thanks Stephanie! I loved it and I'm hoping to feature some of the designers more later this year

Melaina25 said...

Thanks Adrienne :)

Melaina25 said...

It was such a great time!

Melaina25 said...

It was my biggest spend of the H&M Versace line and I looooove it!

Melaina25 said...

Thanks that is what I was going for :)

Melaina25 said...

I love your outfit! As always you look completely amazing! And that polish is great!

Melaina25 said...

Lucky girl....got to go to a fashion show :)

Melaina25 said...

Love your outfit! I sooooo want a pair of those leggings! Fab!

Melaina25 said...

Thank you Niki!

Melaina25 said...

It was SO much fun :)

Melaina25 said...

I got them at New Look!

Melaina25 said...

Hahah, I bet! Cocktails are possibly the best thing ever invented drinks wise!

Melaina25 said...

I can't remember if I commented already, but just stopped back by from my link-up and had to say once again how much I love those booties! If you could link back to my site since you participated, I'd really appreciate it!!! Hope to see you back next month for another Third Thursday Threads :)

Melaina25 said...

Love edgy but feminine! and what a wonderful experience. Thanks so much for joining in with Wardrobe Wednesday

Melaina25 said...

Wow! You look amazing! I love your fur vest!!

Melaina25 said...

Thank you for the tip!