Saturday 7 April 2012

Egg-Free Soft Sugar Cookies

Finding egg-free baking recipes that taste good as well is not always easy. So I was super excited when I found an egg-free soft sugar cookie recipe that tasted great! This is the first time I've baked egg-free and had cookie rise (normally they just stay flat) as well so that was cool! I got some Easter cookie cutters last year so it the recipe was perfect to make Easter cookies.

If you're American you'll know what I'm talking about when I say a soft sugar cookie or Lofthouse style cookies; if you aren't just know it is a tasty, soft cookie topped with an obscene amount of frosting (is anything but obscene acceptable anyway?). The cookie itself isn't super sweet but the frosting more than makes up for it. You can find the original recipe on Kids with Food Allergies.

Egg-Free Soft Sugar Cookies

Ingredients:

1 cup salted butter 
2 cups sugar
1 Tbsp vanilla
3 tsp dry Ener-G Egg Replacer plus 4 tbsp water (whisk REALLY well until foamy)
5 cups flour (divided into two lots)
1 cup buttermilk 
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda (Bicarbonate of Soda in the UK)
1/2 tsp salt

Mix together butter, sugar and vanilla in a mixer until well combined. Add Ener-G mixture and mix until incorporated.

ENER-G

Mix together 2 1/2 cups of flour with the baking soda, baking powder and salt.

Alternate mixing in the buttermilk and flour, slowly until combined.

Then slowly add in the remaining 2 1/2 cups of flour mixing on low to start (so you don't spray yourself with flour) and speeding up once combined. You could mix this in by hand but if you have a mixer, why?

Cars pez dispensers
While you are doing all this your kitchen helper can build a house with ice cube trays, baking powder and Pez dispensers (optional).

Chill well. I'd say how long you need to chill it but I accidentally turned my fridge off so I have no idea since my fridge was not working! You'll want the dough to firm up enough to make cut-outs though so at least an hour.

Once chilled pre-heat your oven to 350F/175C and line a baking sheet with wax/baking paper.

Roll out on a floured surface and cut out into fun shapes. Blondie Boy really liked this part. I covered my dining room table in cling film/plastic wrap and then dusted that with flour to try and help clean up.

Toddler Easter Cookies

Egg Free Sugar Cookies
Bonus points if you can tell what these shapes are; our cookie cutters were 
pretty ghetto and didn't work that well. I also shaped some into oval/egg shapes using my hands.


You can sprinkle with sugar now if you aren't a frosting person. Bake for 8-10 minutes or until cookies have risen and are lightly browned.

Let cool and then decorate! I used glitter gel writers for Blondie Boy's cookies. What was supposed to be a chick (but had no beak or feet?) reminded me of the Twitter bird so I couldn't help myself!

For myself and NBH I topped with Betty Crocker frosting (should be white but I had chocolate opening already) and pink sugar. I've just been spreading on a generous amount of frosting as we want the cookies that way the frosting isn't sitting out since it should be refrigerated after opening. You can totally make your own buttercream if you want but we had tons of ready-made in the house.

easter sugar cookies


lofthouse style sugar cookie

This recipe makes a LOT of dough. I use some to make the cookies you see here and then baked off another 6 large eggs the next day AND froze a big log of dough for another time. Just roll dough into a log, wrap in plastic wrap/cling film and freeze. You can then cut off cookies and bake from frozen. Just add on 2 minutes cooking time.

If you don't have an egg allergy in your family you can replace the Ener-G with 2 eggs whisked but personally I like these as they are plus it means you can lick the spoon to your heart's content :)

13 comments:

Kelli Parker Becton said...

Thank you for linking up with Kids in the Kitchen! looks like you are having fun together with your little one cooking together ;-) glad to have you join us! 

Chris_ThinlySpread said...

Oh it looks like you had fun! We've abandoned using cookie cutters like the ones you battled with because they are always hard work, metal cutters are the way to go every time! I think they look very cute and your Twitter bird is hilarioius! I love Blondie Boy's face in that photo, he's so pleased with himself! x

Veggie V! said...

I wonder how these would be with gluten free flour. I used to love Lofthouse cookies!

Melaina25 said...

Only way to know is to try! I double checked the original recipe but  it didn't suggest any GF substitutions. 

Melaina25 said...

Eh that is what I get for 50p :)

Melaina25 said...

Thanks!

Diane Balch said...

Thanks for sharing your recipe with Foodie Friday. Hope to see you back next week.

Candace said...

How awesome!  Thank you so much for sharing this with us at Cool2Craft.com!

Carrie Raab said...

Great little helpers! We do not have egg allergies, but do know of some kids that do. I will pass this recipe along to them. They look delish! Thanks so much for sharing them with us at Kids in the Kitchen. :)

Tiffany said...

Oooh, yes! Those soft sugar cookies are SO good! That's awesome you found a receipe that will work for your little guy with allergies!

Candace said...

Hi Melaina!  You won my golden egg pendant so I need to know your address!   http://www.cool2craft.com/golden-egg-pendant-winner-announced/
candace@cool2craft.com

Mindiehilton said...

Looks like fun! Love your Easter cookies. 

Rae Gun said...

looks like you guys had fun