Tuesday 13 October 2009

29 weeks

Baby’s energy is surging, thanks to the formation of white fat deposits beneath the skin. (Have those kicks and jabs to the ribs tipped you off yet?) Baby is also settling into sleep and waking cycles, though -- as you’ve also probably noticed -- they don’t necessarily coincide with your own. Also this month, all five senses are finally functional, and the brain and nervous system are going through major developments.


Your baby now weighs about 2 1/2 pounds (like a butternut squash) and is a tad over 15 inches long from head to heel. Their muscles and lungs are continuing to mature, and their head is growing bigger to make room for their developing brain. To meet their increasing nutritional demands, you'll need plenty of protein, vitamins C, folic acid, and iron. And because their bones are soaking up lots of calcium, be sure to drink your milk (or find another good source of calcium, such as cheese, yogurt, or enriched orange juice). This trimester, about 250 milligrams of calcium are deposited in your baby's hardening skeleton each day.


*How far along?: 29 weeks
*Total weight gain: Since my 12 week weigh-in I've put on the equivalent in of "an Emma;" I will let you decide how much Emma weighs, but according to my American Pregnancy Association emails this is the lowest end of what is average for 29 weeks!
*How big is baby?: Squash, although that top one looks decidedly pumpkinish, how very appropriate for October.
*Maternity clothes?: Yup. Got my first hand-me-downs from the lovely Julie and from my colleague Diane at work.
*Sleep?: I wake up between 6-8 and can't fall back asleep, blah.
*Best moment this week?: Watching the Cardiac Cats come back to beat the Ravens and picking NBH up at the airport; 3 sleeps away was 3 too many! He also brought back from really cute penguin shoes for the bebe from Auntie Katie.
*Movement?: Oh yes. When I had Oreos for the first time in ages the bebe went properly nuts. The kid loves oreos- random fact: my Mom craved Oreos when pregnant with me, so maybe it is genetic!
*Food cravings?: I just got my order of Mt. Dew and NBH brought me back some Krispy Kremes so I am not missing much at this very moment. I would love some Izzy's pickles though (hint, hint Dad!)
*Labor signs?: No
*Belly button in or out?: Innie; NBH keeps asking when I'm going to take out my belly-button ring. I've got a pregnancy approved one, so not yet is my answer.
*What I miss: My Mom was in Cincinnati this weekend and she and my sister took my Grandma shopping for an early birthday present. I really wish I could have been there.
*What I'm looking forward to: My first antenatal class on Thursday. Actually I'm not sure if I'm looking forward to it or a bit scared of it, maybe a bit of both.
*Milestone: I've started to get Braxton Hicks contractions.

No comments: